Sunday, April 17, 2011

April 11, 2011-Floripa...Heaven on Earth

Hey everyone!!
So ya, I´m finally here in Brazil, this place is absolutley crazy and I love it! The island of Florianopolis is absolutely stunning! Like the most beautiful place on earth, it is unreal! My first area is the southern half of the island too so I get to be surrounded by it´s beauty all day, every day. Our apartment is the tiniest thing I have ever seen, they say it is by far the smallest apartment in the mission...I definitely believe them haha but it´s all cool, the view from our place is sooo sick. My companion is Elder Kneipp, he is from Northern Brazil and doesn´t speak a lick of English and since arriving here I have come to realize that I don´t speak a lick of Portuguese haha he is a way cool guy tho and is really good with the people here. President Queiroz and his wife are like the coolest people I have ever met, they are so nice and down to earth. Sister Queiroz told me that the most beautiful women in the world live on the island of Floripa (Florianopolis), yep, she is definitely correct haha we just have to stay away from the ones that are bad news. President told us to never go tracting out here because it is a waste of time but that we need to find other ways to find investigators. So, in my area we teach English class twice a week, we get anywhere from 20-40 people to show up. I wish my comp new English so he could help me but he just sits outside as I teach everyone, it´s a ton of fun tho. Everyone here wants to know English. Floripa is super nice, we have some ghetto places in our area but besides that, this place is ´muito legao` as the locals says, ´very legit´. Tons and tons of pizza too, on the island they are obsessed with pizza. They put everything on pizza too: chocolate, strawberries, whatever you tell them, they will put it on your pizza haha The work here is night and day compared to work in the states. In the states you aren´t suppose to stay at a lesson for more than 45 minutes, here each lesson goes anywhere from 2-4 hours, it´s crazy, I´m not a fan of it at all but my comp and everyone else here tells me that this is just how it is. We ride the bus a ton down here too, like probably 4-5 hours a day but I´m already getting used to it. The members here are amazing too, going to church was such an experince, it was like a massive family reunion and as if they hadn´t seen each other for YEARS haha it is so entertaining. Everyone here has their own handshake that you have to do with them whenever you see them too haha it´s pretty fun, even the older women in the ward have their own haha But ya, I love this place, it is absolutley amazing, I will definitely live here after the mission. Portuguese is not Spanish, they are completely different and I don´t really have a clue about what is going on until we start talking about church things, but I know it will come sooner or later. I´m doing grea and hope everyone else is too back home. Give the little ones tons of loves for me!!!!!
Love,
Elder Michael J. Neilson

No comments:

Post a Comment