Tuesday, May 17, 2011

May 16, 2011- It´s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas...in Brasil?

Hey everyone!
Wow, the weather here is starting to get biting cold, like really it´s crazy! I would have never thought that Brasil would get this cold and everyone here keeps telling me that I haven´t seen anything yet. They say during the winter here it´s usually anywhere from 5 to 8 degrees Celsius, and it´s not uncommon for it to drop below zero. Ya, pretty cold stuff needless to say haha. Other news, I didn´t get transfered, neither did my companion, so we are still here on the island which isn´t bad because they say the island has the warmest weather in all of our mission. Hopefully I don´t get transfered to the snow covered mountains this winter, but if I do then it will definitely be an adventure haha. We are doing well here tho and are enjoying our time serving the Lord and the people here in Brasil. Also, I got Nicole and Jason´s package this last week of cookies, that was super nice of them and the cookies were still fresh and good! And yes, I was impressed by their art skills haha. President Queiroz reminded us again this week to tell people back home that if they ever send a package down here to Brazil to never declare that the value of the items in the package are more then $7. Two reasons. First, it´s more likely than not that it will get stolen. Second, if it does make it here then I have to go to the post office and pay anywhere from $80-150 to pick it up. Just a note. Anways, the Portuguese gets better everyday, having one on one conversations with people isn´t tough at all but rather when we are talking in big group settings is where I really get lost. I´m so grateful I was able to learn Spanish in AZ, not because I love Spanish, but rather because it was quite a struggle at first but eventually I was able to get it down with help from the Lord. From that experience and struggle in AZ, I´ve had a lot of comfort in seeing my progress with the Portuguese language since I have already been thru a similar situation. I think this is one of the reasons why the Lord gives us trials so that we can have strength and confidence to take on new challenges. I love you all so much and wish you all the best! Give the babies some loves for me!!!
Love,
Elder Michael J. Neilson

No comments:

Post a Comment