Wednesday, December 15, 2010

December 15, 2010- In the Hispanic World, the Tallest Guy Always Holds the Pinata!!


Buenos Dias Todos!
  So this last week was a really great week!! We were extremely busy and really didn't have too much time to think, which is great! The work here is going great and I am so blessed to be here right now. The Latinos here are so kind and are almost always willing to let us share a message with them. So I am just gonna share a couple of stories of things that happened this last week. So last week we were out gathering contacts when we contacted into a Mexican Birthday Party! Now Mexican Birthday Parties are much different than traditional American Parties because the parents don't just drop off their kids and come back in a couple of hours to pick them up, no no no, EVERYBODY of all ages comes and stays at the party and the adults party a lot harder than the kids haha. So when we walked by and started talking with us they then demanded that we eat some of their carne asada, especially me because they said I was too skinny haha so we did and after a while we were saying our goodbyes when somebody ran out with a pinata and asked me if I could hold it since I am 'so ridiculously tall', I wanted to invite them all to California for a Neilson get-together when they said this haha, so I did it and they had me stand on a chair to be even taller, and it was pretty funny so I had my companion take some pictures while I has holding it. Next story. So there is a member in our ward, the Ray 5th Spanish Ward, who is always really tight with the missionaries and he and his wife had us over for dinner. The guy is super nice and way cool but he loves to pull small pranks or make little jokes with the missionaries which is totally cool because I would do the same thing, so he had his wife cook pasta for us and after we finished he asked us how we liked it. We said it was good but definitely had a different taste to it and he said it's because he told his wife to use elk meat instead of regular cow meat haha he thought it was pretty funny, so ya, I pretty much ate Bambi for dinner haha. Out here in Chandler we run into A LOT of interesting people and one old guy the other day lectured us for about 10 minutes about how the world is going to end on May 21, 2011 and then we met another guy who said he wouldn't listen to us because he doesn't believe in worshiping John Smith and Pocahontas, I don't see what's so wrong with that? haha just kidding, it's just funny to see what people think of us. The Spanish is coming along, it can be tough though when you get the Mexicans who speak super fast and blend their words together (yes, that is almost ALL Mexicans) but I've learned that you can get the gist of what they are saying by just picking up words every now and then. I have truly seen the Gift of Tongues in action and am so grateful that I am blessed to have the Lord helping me learn this language. I still have to study Portuguese so it can get real confusing studying both languages, but it's great, I love it. I hope all is well back home and that you all have an amazing Holiday season in remembering the birth of Christ. I love you all so much and make sure to give the little ones extra love for me!!!
Love,
Elder Michael Neilson

No comments:

Post a Comment