Wednesday, December 22, 2010

December 22, 2010- Feliz Navidad y Natal!!!!

Hola Everyone!!
This has been yet another absolutely amazing week out in the mission field! The weather is starting to get chillier, or at least the locals think so (it's like in the 60s and 70s). I had my first day of working in the rain out here and we got absolutely DRENCHED. I thought at first that this was not going to be great weather to go out and work in, especially because everybody will be inside. But it is actually GREAT weather to work in because people are just so surprised to see that we still go out and share our message no matter what the weather is like. It's true, our message is that important that weather is not a factor, but rather a benefit. So we had a bunch of stuff happen this last week so I will share. This last Saturday we had our Desayuno de Navidad Fiesta (Ward Christmas Breakfast) and they went all out for it! They served us tons of food for breakfast and had a full program of music, games, pictures, etc., also they had a massive 'sleigh' pulled by 2 horses that they took everybody for a ride out on the STREETS with! haha it was pretty cool, and of course, no Mexican party is complete without a pinata, and of course, no Mexican is as tall as Elder Neilson so I was the designated holder again haha. So we left that party wayyyyyyy stuffed of food, then we worked and ate some lunch and later that night went to dinner at a members home. Well, these members (like all) sure did like to feed the missionaries and they fed us each 6 large enchiladas, 2 full plates of rice and beans, and then tons of this Pineapple desert thing on top of this. I was filled to absolute capacity. After dinner, we promised one of our investigators that we would go over to their house because they wanted us to go to their party. So we did and it turned out to be their daughter's Quincenera, in other words, it was a HUGE party. And of course, all they wanted to do was feed us. So, we had just finished eating a ridiculously large dinner, and now they wanted us to pound down even more. (I feel bad about what happened next but my companion thinks it is really funny and it kind of is haha) I took about 3 bites of the food (which was great food) when I simply could NOT eat any more, I mean my stomach was so stuffed that I felt like I was starting to store food in my throat (sorry for the visual). The trash can was too far away, and if I were to throw away a full plate the mom would very much be offended. So, I resorted to my last option. I waited until everyone was distracted and was looking away, and I opened my backpack and just threw the plate of food in there. I didn't even care that it made a mess in there and that my backpack will now forever smell like Mexico, I just could not eat anymore. I am very grateful that the people here are so kind as to always be feeding us though, they truly do treat us like family and would do anything that we ask of them (besides come to church and be baptized haha). We also got to go visit the Christmas lights that are at the Mesa Temple and that was super cool and I saw a kid from BYUH named Andrew Monahan there (some of you might know him), so that was rad. Also our area got expanded this week from 8 square miles to 65 square miles. yup, I'm serious. Kind of a long story but basically one of the other Spanish elders finally got his Mexican visa and left and now we have taken on their area which was significantly larger than our previous one. At least we have a car! Last night we attended a funeral for one of our investigator's infant son (they are Catholic but couldn't afford a funeral in the Catholic church so we let them use our building). They were initially really distraught over the loss because the Catholic church told them that their baby is now stuck in 'Limbo' for all of eternity since it was not baptized. They are super open and receptive to the message of the Gospel though right now and we are going to continue to teach them. We are so lucky as members of Christ's Church to know with a surety that there is life after this one. What a blessing and comfort it is to know this, and we should have such a desire to want to share this message with all that we know. The scriptures teach us that if we do not warn our neighbors and friends about the Gospel of Christ, and when they die in their sins, that their blood will be upon our heads (yikes). It's true though. We should go about it though with a positive attitude though. The blessing of the Gospel is happiness and if people can't tell that we are TRULY happy then they won't care to listen to what we may have to say. Anyways, I love you all so much and am so grateful for my relationship with you and wish you all a MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! Make sure to give the little ones (that includes Annie!) tons of loves for me!!!!!!
Love,
Elder Michael J. Neilson

No comments:

Post a Comment