Wednesday, December 8, 2010

December 8, 2010

Aloha everyone!
  So I got out to Tempe two days ago, Monday morning, and it has been absolutely great out here! President Howes and his wife are amazing people and they really made me feel at home. Everyone else who works at the office is super nice too. Of course they all told me that I am so lucky to be reassigned to the Greatest Mission in the World, so I guess I can only hope that Florianopolis is the Second Greatest haha.When I got off the airplane the President and the assistants were there waiting for me and the first thing the President asked me was, 'How is your Spanish?'. It kind of threw me off because I was assuming that I was just going to teach in English so I told him my Spanish used to be pretty good but I'm not sure how great it is now after studying Portuguese for 9 weeks. He laughed and told me that he prayed where I should go and he felt strongly that I should be placed with a Spanish-speaking missionary and learn the language of Spanish. So, I went back to the mission home and they gave me a Spanish Preach My Gospel, Bible, Book of Mormon and a few other Spanish things and the President just told me to read thru the Spanish Book of Mormon as fast as possible and I will be fine. Also that I would not ever teach in English and that if we meet someone interested in the Church who speaks English that we must refer him to the English missionaries. I then met my trainer Elder Southern who is from Idaho and we were off to our area, Chandler, AZ. The first day was pretty tough because my whole vocab was in Portuguese and when I would speak quickly it would usually come out in Portuguese (the funny thing is that in the MTC everyone gave me a lot of grief because it seemed like I spoke a lot of Spanish). The next day was a LOT better tho, I was totally understanding El Libro De Mormon and the very first person I contacted asked me if he could come to church so that was pretty rad! We have been teaching a lot of lessons and I've actually been able to participate a ton in those lessons, just goes to show how powerful the Gift of Tongues can be! The Mexican people here are wayyyyy nice and they feed us extremely well. I can totally see how missionaries develop so much love for the people in their areas, they are amazing and you so badly want to see them progress in the Gospel. Elder Southern works me hard which is exactly what I wanted. These first few days have been WAY tiring because we ride our bikes EVERYWHERE and I have rode a bike for a while it seems like. If I stay here my whole mission I'd be willing to be I'd come back with some pretty ripped legs haha because down in Brazil it is all walking. We also got to go to the Mesa Temple this morning and that was such an amazing experience!! That Temple was so beautiful and the Spirit was so strong!! Chandler is a pretty cool town too, there are areas that are nice and then our areas. The weather has been consistently in the 70s and 80s too so I can't complain although it is not very pretty out here in the desert, they really need an ocean. But I'm doing great!! I already love it here and am trying to think as little about my visa and Portuguese as possible but it's hard because like President Howes told me, "You've been called by a prophet of God to serve in Brazil and that is where you will serve.". I hope all is going well back home!! O ya and they said to have all mail just mailed to the Mission Home and they will forward it. Also to make sure to put my first and last name on all packages and letters. Love you all and make sure to give the little ones some loves for me!!!
Love,
Elder Neilson

No comments:

Post a Comment